Cataract surgery is performed in a sterile environment and under local anesthesia (ophthalmic drops). It is a painless operation with a fast healing time. For the surgery, the surgeon will make a micro-incision through the cornea. The purpose of this operation is to remove the crystallin affected by cataract and replace it with an artificial one (intraocular lens). The quality of life of patients is thus greatly improved.
PHACOREFRACTIVE CATARACT OPERATION ASSISTED WITH FEMTOSECOND LASER
The CATALYS® laser allows the surgeon to achieve greater levels of safety, accuracy and predictability than traditional cataract surgery. Here are the benefits for your patients:
- Personalized surgery
- Better positioning of their intraocular lens
- Faster healing time
- Optimized vision
- Reduced risk of complications
We offer this option to all patients referred to us who need cataract surgery.
Before your cataract surgery, several kinds of intraocular lenses will be offered. Given the wide range of options, we offer our patients a consultation with one of our intraocular lens advisors.
During this meeting, the patient is informed about cataracts, the various possible treatments, existing technologies, and intraocular lenses.
INSTRUCTIONS TO FOLLOW FOR YOUR CATARACT SURGERY
1. BEFORE THE INTERVENTION
- Your surgeon will give you a prescription for preoperative and postoperative drops that you will need to pick up at the pharmacy. Be aware that you will need to start the application 2 days before your surgery.
- Please note that some medications are not covered by the RAMQ. Your physician has chosen to prescribe them because their therapeutic benefits are superior.
- You will have to wait 5 minutes between the application of each of your drops in order to optimize their absorption.
It is very important to have a companion or a safe means of transportation for the day of your surgery. You will not be able to drive and your vision may be blurry. The same goes for the appointment of control after surgery, 24-48 hours postoperatively.
2. THE SLEEP OR MORNING OF YOUR SURGERY
We recommend that you wash your hair because after your surgery, you will have to wait 2 days before you can wash them.
3. THE DAY OF YOUR SURGERY
- Apply your preoperative drops the morning of the procedure;
- Bring a list of your medications, in tablets and drops, even if they are not eye drugs;
- Take your medicine as usual;
- Dress comfortably because you will not have to change for your operation since you will not have to put on a hospital jacket;
- Wearing jewelry and makeup is prohibited;
- Have lunch or dinner, depending on the time of your appointment, in the usual way and without abuse;
- An operative consent, which you will have to sign, will be given to you before the surgery. You will also be able to receive a copy before the day of the intervention;
- A nurse will be present to answer your questions before the surgery.
4. FOLLOWING YOUR SURGERY
Postoperative instructions will be given by a nurse after your surgery. It is always best to be accompanied for these instructions. In addition, you will have a transparent shell on your eye, which you will keep up until you get home.
Usually, you do not have stitches. If you have any, the nurse or your surgeon will advise you.
5. AFTER SURGERY
- You will have a 24-48 hour postoperative checkup with your surgeon;
- At appointments, always bring your drops and your schedule;
- Return to work is variable depending on the nature of your duties and your work environment;
- It is normal to have a blurry vision;
- It is permissible to read, watch television and use a computer, while taking breaks to reduce dry eye;
- You must put the shell on your eye for a week when you sleep;
- You must start your postoperative drops 4 hours after the surgery, once at home;
- The wearing of sunglasses is suggested for your comfort when you go outside.
For 1 to 2 weeks, do not:
- Rub the eyes;
- Lift heavy things;
- Practice contact sports;
- Make physical effort;
- Make sudden movements;
- Bend the head lower than the heart / waist level;
- Use makeup.
For 1 month, do not:
- Handle soil;
- Put your head underwater in a pool, lake or sea.
THE ADVANTAGES OF SURGERY AT BELLEVUE CLINIC
The Bellevue Clinic offers cataract surgery, femtosecond laser-assisted astigmatism correction, and vision optimization. Our modern facilities, state-of-the-art equipment and experienced staff provide effective, professional and personalized care.
*We also operate patients NON-RESIDENTS of Canada.